APLA Regional Conference 8 - 12 Oct 2018 - Kuching, Malaysia
Date: 8 Oct 2018 - 12 Oct 2018
Venue: Kuching, Malaysia
Theme "Rumble In The Jungle"
Background: On October 30 1974, Muhammad Ali and George Foreman, two of the most powerful boxers in the history of the sport, squared up for the "Rumble in the Jungle" bout in a magnificent stadium in the middle of a jungle clearing outside the city of Kinshasa, in the country now called the Democratic Republic of Congo. At the time, Foreman was considered one of the hardest punchers in the sport, having already knocked out Joe Frazier and Ken Norton – both of whom had given Ali four tough battles and won two of them. Ali was at the time 32 years old, and had been banned from the sport for three years during his prime and stripped of his boxing title due to his refusal to be drafted to Vietnam. His years out of the game had meant he had lost the speed and reflexes he had shown in his twenties, and few involved in the sport gave the former champion a chance of winning contest. Ali during the fight devised a method which would later become known as the 'Rope-A-Dope', where he retreated to the ropes and let Foreman strike him at will while covering up, deflecting and counterpunching. Midway through the fight, a frustrated Foreman had worn himself out in the Kinshasa heat, throwing punches that didn't land squarely or were blocked by Ali. In the eighth round, Ali used a combination of right crosses to floor an exhausted Foreman to regain the title by knockout. "Few thought he could do this but Muhammad Ali was special" "This was one of those moments that demonstrated why Muhammad Ali was a game changer, and of course he went on to become a great legend."
Relevance to the Lottery Industry
Lotteries operating in a matured market find themselves in need to look at ways to increase their footprint in order to stay relevant otherwise they will be get knocked out by the ‘Johnny come lately’ disruptors.
What footprint can we leverage on moving forward to expand our markets and customer base?
Embracing the right technology can allow us to widen our current scope, reach and time to market. What used to take months if done correctly, can be deployed in weeks?
Mass marketing is now replaced with 1:1 marketing with the right tools used. Ensuring the user journey and experience is key to delighting and retaining the customers at various touch points.
Smarter product designs substantiated by understanding and analyzing player behavior using Machine Learning and rich data will enjoy better rate of success.
So, do block your calendar and come join us in the 2018 APLA Regional Conference from 8 – 12 October 2018 in the state of Sarawak in Malaysia where Business and Adventure meet.
Social Program Highlights
- Opening Dinner
- Closing Dinner
- Networking Day - Semenggoh Wildlife Centre & Annah Rais Long House
- City Tour / Golf (optional)
Conference Registration Fee
|Registration Category||Fees - US Dollars|
|APLA / WLA Member||$1,000|
|APLA / WLA Associate Member||$1,200|
|Non-APLA / Non-WLA Member||$1,350|
Visa Requirement By Country
Commonwealth Countries do not require Visa to visit Malaysia.
Type of Visa to apply
Single Entry Visa
This is issued to foreign nationals who require a visa to enter Malaysia mainly for a social visit. It is normally valid for a single entry and for a period of three (3) months from the date of issue.
Apply for Visa
How to apply for a Visa
Visa applications must be made at any nearest Malaysian Representative Office Abroad.
Applications can also be made online through I-Visa System (Applicable for tourist from India and China only).
Application for a Visa Without Reference
Documents required for the application of a visa without reference (approval of visa is given by High Commission of Malaysia) are:
- Original passport
- Two (2) photocopies of the applicant’s passport
- Two (2) photocopies of the visa application form (Form IMM.47)
- Two (2) passport size photographs of the applicant
- Original and two (2) photocopies of the ticket (confirmed and returned ticket)
- Bank statement / traveller’s cheque
- Invitation letter (if any)
- Payment of visa fee
Note: Visa Without Reference is required for the purpose of a social visit.
Transportation InformationTo transfer charges from Kuching International Airport to Hilton Kuching.
Initial Fare RM 3.00 Add. Metered Fare RM16.85 Estimated Taxi Fare RM19.85
- Trip is 10.3km, approximately 20 mins drive
- Add RM2 for booking fees
- Passengers are responsible for tolls
- Request taximeters to be used
- Tolls & surcharges may apply
- Other possible fares: 12:00 AM to 6:00 AM: RM29.78
- Cost with Traffic: RM33.75 subject to traffic condition
- Van (max 7 pax) chargeable at RM70 nett per way
- Camry ( max 2 pax) chargeable at RM75 nett per way
- Era Komuter (12 pax) chargeable at RM120 nett per way
- Pre-arrangement is required. Vehicles are limited and subject to first come first server basis
- Additional 50% charges for all transfer between 22:00 hrs – 07:00 hrs
- 100% cancellation charge for booking cancel within 26 hours or NO SHOW
As advised, Grab is also available at the airport subject to delegate preference. Duration from airport to hotel is 20 minutes.